Equipped Podcast: Episode 009: Pastor Joy Hester, Vision Ministries in Ohio
Joy Hester, Co-Pastor of Vision Ministries
- Link to the Blog Post that inspired this conversation: Click Here
Joy Hester Blog: www.joyhester.net
Vision Ministries: www.vision.today
Facebook: Joy Hester
Highlights from Episode 009
Joy talks about the things that are involved in vocational ministry, the hard things that no one really teaches you about.
- There is a real spiritual warfare that comes with sharing God’s message. Joy talks about the personal attacks that she has experienced and urges upcoming leaders to simply be prepared.
- She references James 3:1 “Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.”
- We must remember that our job is to be obedient as ministers but God is the one that changes the hearts
- Don’t underestimate the time and preparation that comes with ministry
Everyone needs their Jesus time! She has learned that putting off her personal time with Jesus in order to minister will leave her personally empty, this is how burnout can creep up on us. Pastor Joy believes that we should minister from an overflow. It’s important to constantly remind ourselves that Jesus is the One that people need for life change. Our main job is to Equip people for the ministry, not to carry their loads on our own shoulders.
- 2 Corinthians 10:12: “We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.”
- We may be comparing ourselves to someone’s victory but never really know what they have personally gone through to obtain that victory
- Instead of being jealous – celebrate one another – be a champion for others
- If one part wins in the body of Christ we all win
- Comparisons make us ungrateful for the victories that we have in our own lives
- Comparisons make us insecure and God did not create us to be insecure
- Take the time to write down the things that we are grateful for – be intentional and disciplined about gratitude
- Be focused on what is right in front of our face
- Pastor Joy challenges us to combat the comparison trap
“Not getting offended at those who are offended at me…” ~Pastor Joy
Instead of reacting to an offense, she has learned to slow down, quiet herself, and listen. Joy talks about seeking understanding in the midst of offense and not approaching things from a defensive posture. When we reason together and work through the tough issues, our bond grows stronger. A church is just like a family, we all have things we need to work through together.
- She gives herself three days in prayer to get over a hurt
- If after three days she is still offended, then she talks to the person that hurt her
- She is not passive aggressive
Giving Into Fear
Fear is not a one time issue, but it is something that we must learn to overcome on a regular basis. Pastor Joy shares her fear of poverty in ministry, fear of failure, and the fact that she had to surrender all of these fears to the Lord. We must know that God’s will is for us to operate in power, love and a sound mind – not fear! If God calls us to do something, He will equip us and grace us to accomplish it.
- 1 John 4:18 “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.“
- As parents, we must model courage for our children
- To have faith you just have to step out of fear and walk in it
- Agree with God’s Word and allow it to come out of your mouth
Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
Would you like to know more about Equipped?
Text the words “tellmemore” to the number 444999.
A New Podcast is released on Wednesdays, 2-3 times per month
We would love it if you subscribed today! When you subscribe you will never miss an episode. Tim and I are committed to bringing you stories and wisdom, from those who are breaking down barriers and want to inspire you to do the same.
You can subscribe via:
Did you enjoy this Podcast? Consider rating it for us.
If you enjoyed this podcast and think others may benefit from the dynamic interviews that we are sharing, consider leaving us a rating. Your rating helps Equipped to get in front of more listeners and it gives us insight into what we are doing really well, and what we can do better. The best way to rate our podcast is on Apple Podcast. Thank you for being an Equipped and Effective Podcast Listener.