Equipped Podcast: Episode 008: Savannah Marten, Pregnancy Center of Greater Toledo.
Savannah Marten, Executive Director at The Pregnancy Center of Greater Toledo
- Pregnancy Center Website: www.pregnancycenter.org
- Friends of Pregnancy Center Website: www.friendsofpregnancycenter.org
- Sweet Endings, Annual Fundraiser: Bob Goff is their keynote speaker this year: Mark your calendars for March 7th & Sign up for news and updates here to find out when tickets go on sale
- Facebook: @friendsofpregnancycenter
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Highlights from Episode 008
What does it mean to color outside of the Lines?:
We were created by a creative Creator. Coloring outside of the lines is all about curiosity and creativity in life. She quotes Bob Goff by saying “a greater sense of confidence should produce more creativity.” Sometimes the tendency to over structure life comes from a desire to be in control. Savannah takes the time to re-define what it means to be creative.
What Savannah has learned about having so many creative and outside of the box ideas?:
- To put a speed bump between her thoughts and her words, to put a pause on the ideas sometimes
- To be aware of who is in the room in order to determine if it’s the right time and place to vocalize ideas
- Have people in life that think differently than you, and challenge your ideas and thoughts
Everything that I have been put in charge of is Gods. When I am coloring outside of the lines, I recognize that the crayon I am using is one that someone else has put into my hand and entrusted me with. It’s so important to remember why you are coloring outside of the lines.
Allowing your team to challenge the status quo:
We have core values to guide us but within those boundaries, everything can be questioned. Savannah gives her team the freedom to have ideas and change things that need to be changed. One example is the campus ministry at the University of Toledo. Her campus director took advantage of this freedom and presented an idea that was radically different from the status quo. They went from simply offering pregnancy tests on campus to shifting their focus. They are now empowering women to recognize their value and worth. Success was the outcome of these “out of the box” ideas. Leader’s need to trust the people that God has placed on their teams. There is so much value in allowing others the freedom to explore and voice new ideas.
How to spark creativity in your life:
Savannah talks about creating white space without any expectations of the outcome.
What keeps you motivated?
It’s less about staying motivated, for me, but more about keeping my hope in check.
Links / People Mentioned:
- Bob Goff, Love Everybody Always
- Jonathan R. Perry, Life Chapel – “Is it a good idea or a God Idea”
- Book: Lost Ocean
- Dan Rogers, Cherry Street Mission Ministries
- Juliet Funt
- Simon Sinek: Start With Why
The People We Need In Our Lives and Why: (with Nicki)
Ephesians 4: 16 says “He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.”
Here is what we know from this scripture
- We are different, but we fit together perfectly
- We each have our own special work to accomplish, and that special work helps the rest of the body grow
- Working together is the only way for the body of Christ to become healthy, growing, and full of love
Here are the two questions that I challenged my listeners with at the end of this podcast:
- Who is in your life to challenge your thinking, your ideas, to push you out of your comfort zone, to cheer you on? Who has permission to freely speak into your life?
- Or has insecurity caused you to create a life where everyone always agrees with you?
A New Podcast is released on Wednesdays, 2-3 times per month
We would love it if you subscribed today! When you subscribe you will never miss an episode. Tim and I are committed to bringing you stories and wisdom, from those who are breaking down barriers and want to inspire you to do the same.
You can subscribe via:
Did you enjoy this Podcast? Consider rating it for us.
If you enjoyed this podcast and think others may benefit from the dynamic interviews that we are sharing, consider leaving us a rating. Your rating helps Equipped to get in front of more listeners and it gives us insight into what we are doing really well, and what we can do better. The best way to rate our podcast is on Apple Podcast. Thank you for being an Equipped and Effective Podcast Listener.